Wednesday 18 September 2013

Wordless Wednesday - occupations

I have a large collection of old (and comfortably out of copyright!) books, many of therm with illustrations. In fact, I bought quite a few of the books for the illustrations alone. I have scanned some of them, although there is still a long way to go.

Just for fun, I thought I'd share some of them. I've chosen a selection from my collection depicting occupations. I had forgotten that I had a picture of a diver, which would have been topical a week ago, when Sarah Millican's episode of Who Do You Think You Are was shown. Oh well. So here is the diver, and pictures of a few other occupations that your ancestors might have followed.


Diver
Bookbinding


Box-making

Firemen

Glass-blower

Potter


Print

2 comments:

  1. Love the collection.The fireman with his toe so neatly pointed has to be my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They must be very old books if they are comfortably out of copyright.I have some books written in the late1800's where the author died less than 70 years ago. Two years til they are PD and I can use them!
    It's a great idea o but old books and use their illustrations as they are much cheaper than purpose bought old pictures. Sometimes there is a problem with quality when they are scanned but some of the woodcuts come up really well.
    Thanks for sharing your great pictures

    ReplyDelete